Have a whole month of farming fun with these children’s farm books. Some of these children’s books are about food, gardening, or farming – but all can help a young reader learn more about where their food or clothes comes from! You can search more books about farming and food by topic in our recommended publications database.
Click on the pictures to learn more.
1. Farm Boots: A joyful look at life on a farm through the seasons.
2. I Love Strawberries: Through hilarious trials, Jolie learns how hard and rewarding growing strawberries can be.
3.Tales of the Dairy Godmother: Chuck's Ice Cream Wish: Chuck gets transported to a dairy farm where he learns how his favorite food is made.
4. Barn At Night: A beautiful story of a father and daughter as they care for farm animals.
5. Right This Very Minute: A table to farm book that answers: Where does my food come from?
6. My Family’s Corn Farm: A look at daily life on a corn farm.
7. My Family’s Soybean Farm: A look at daily life on a soybean farm.
8. My Grandpa My Tree and Me: A heartwarming story of a pecan orchard farming family.
9. Logan’s Greenhouse: A unique look at gardening in a greenhouse.
10. Every Little Seed: A lyrical story about saving seeds and flowers.
11. Apple Pie Picnic: An apple book that includes Spanish language words for vocab building.
12. Buzzing with Questions: A biography of Charles Henry Turner.
13. Honeybee: The life of a honeybee.
14. Applesauce Day: A lyrical story of a family apple picking and making applesauce.
15. How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: Answers where did my food come from for common lunchbox foods.
16. PB&J Hooray: How peanuts and grapes grow and are turned into sandwiches.
17. How to Grow a Monster: A look at growing giant zuchinni.
18.The Sun in My Tummy: An interesting way to understand how the food we eat gets energy from the sun.
19.Planting a Garden in Room 6: A group of students plant a school garden.
20. Hatching Chicks in Room 6: A group of students hatch chicks in their classroom.
21. Uncle John’s City Garden: A garden in the city that grows ingredients for succotash.
22. Let’s Pop Pop Popcorn: How popcorn grows/is popped.
23. Full of Beans: A historical look at how soybeans were used by Henry Ford to build a car.
24. John Deere, That’s Who: A historical look at the inventor, John Deere.
25. Seed Soil Sun: Earth's recipe for food.
26. The Fruits We Eat: Explores how different fruits grow.
27. The Guardian Team: A rare look at how different animals are used to guard sheep/animals.
28. Time for Cranberries: A story of a family harvesting cranberries.
29. Combines with Casey and Friends: A look at farming machinery.
30. Sylvia’s Spinach: A girl tries a new food.
31. If You Want to Knit Some Mittens: A look at where wool comes from.
Coming soon: Potatoes for Pirate Pearl: Explores how potatoes grow and how they are harvested.