Feeding the Planet
Lesson 4 - Sustainable Agriculture: Production
National Learning Standards:
- HS-ETS1-1 Analyze a major global challenge to specify qualitative and quantitative criteria and constraints for solutions that account for societal needs and wants.
- RST.11-12.7 Integrate and evaluate multiple source of information presented in diverse formats in order to address a question or solve a problem.
Grade Level: 9-12
Lesson Length: 60 minutes
- Categorize agricultural commodities into the four uses of agricultural products – food, fiber, fuel, and shelter
- Define key terms related to food security
- Explore the food security on a global scale, including affordability, availability, quality, and safety of various farm outputs
Materials and Equipment Needed:
- Production Sustainability PowerPoint
- Butcher paper or tearsheet (1 per group)
- Markers and/or colored pencils
- Access to the internet
- Feeding the Planet Activity Sheets (1 per student)
Use these suggested adaptations to make learning across the curriculum easy!
Explore the impact of biological advancements in agricultural production methods. Suggested resource: Bringing Biotechnology to Life http://www.agfoundation.org/bringing-biotech-to-life/
Research the impact of planting and harvesting technology, such as GPS units in tractors.
Create a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast the engineering design of a piece of production equipment used today, and in the past.
Evaluate production and price data provided by the USDA Economic Research Service: https://www.ers.usda.gov/