Lesson 3 - Sustainable Agriculture: Environment
National Learning Standards:
- HS-ESS3-4 Earth and Human Activity: Evaluate or refine a technological solution that reduces impacts of human activities on natural systems.
- HS-ESS3-1 Human Sustainability: Construct an explanation based on evidence for how the availability of natural resources, occurrence of natural hazards, and changes in climate have influenced human activity.
- RST.11-12-7 Integrate and evaluate multiple source of information presented in diverse formats and media in order to address a question or a problem.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.9-10.6 Use technology, including the Internet, to produce, publish, and update individual or shared writing products, taking advantage of technology’s capacity to link to other information and to display information flexibly and dynamically.
Grade Level: 9-12
Lesson Length: 70 minutes
- Identify the five factors that contribute environmental quality and their significance
- Describe how farmers care for the environment
Materials and Equipment Needed:
- Environmental Sustainability PowerPoint
- Access to the internet
- Environmental Stewardship Activity Sheet (1 per student)
- Group presentation prompts (1 per group)
Use these suggested adaptations to make learning across the curriculum easy!
Have students research the physical, chemical, and biological properties of soil.
Have students research how historical advancements in technology have aided in environmental sustainability for agriculture.
Instead of creating a PowerPoint, have students construct a model of a management practice.
Have students calculate the cost for implementing a new management practice.