How is biotechnology used?
Food biotechnology is being used to improve nutrition and enhance food safety and quality. Biotechnology supports the social, economic and environmental sustainability of agriculture.
Length: 1 hour
Students will be able to:
- Identify specific ways biotechnology can improve food nutrition, safety and quality.
- Identify specific ways biotechnology supports social, economic and environmental sustainability.
- Identify specific ways biotechnology helps to meet the increasing needs of the world’s growing population.
Next Generation Science Standards Addressed:
- Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- LS3.A Inheritance of Traits
Engaging in an Argument From Evidence
- Cross-Cutting Concepts:
Cause and Effect: Cause and effect relationships may be used to predict phenomena in natural systems.
National Standards for Art Education Addressed:
- NA-VA.9-12.1 Understanding and Applying Media
- Techniques and Processes
What are the Benefits of Food Biotechnology?
Technologies, such as food biotechnology, have become an important part of agriculture. However, many myths and misperceptions about food biotechnology have led to questions about its safety and benefits for the public. The video segments below were developed to help clarify the facts on food produced through biotechnology and to address some of your most common questions. In the videos, physicians who are leaders in their field discuss the following topics as they relate to food biotechnology: Safety; Allergies; Children; Benefits; and Labeling. These physicians have relevant background in these areas, as well as knowledge of the safety and health research around food biotechnology.