First Peas to the Table Contest 2017
The American Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture is inviting your classroom to participate in a national pea growing contest. This contest is to celebrate our book of the year, First Peas to the Table, by Susan Grigsby published by Albert Whitman.
The 2017 First Peas to the Table Contest is now closed!
Check back soon to see who won!
2017 Contest Guidelines and Rules
Goal: To be the student team that grows the greatest amount of peas (measured in cups) using no more than 20 pea seeds during the official contest period.
- No purchase is necessary to enter this contest. Void where prohibited.
- To enter, visit https://agfoundation.wufoo.com/forms/peas-contest-2017-entry-form/ and complete the entry form when you have finished growing your peas.
- The contest is open to students in grades K-5th. An entering team may consist of one or more students. Each student or student team must contact us through an adult representative age 21 or over.
- Official Contest Period: February 20, 2017 – May 15, 2017 at 12:00 midnight Eastern. All entries must be submitted no later than midnight on May 15.
- Each team may use no more than twenty pea seeds. These should be garden shelling peas, often called English Peas, not snow peas or snap peas.
- You may not begin planting until February 20, 2017.
- Peas may be grown in any manner including in a hot house, hoop house, indoor pot or planter or outside garden.
- The winning team will have harvested the greatest amount of peas (measured in cups to the nearest 1/8th cup). Peas must be shelled before measuring.
- In the event of a tie, one winner will be randomly selected from those that tied.
- Entrants must submit a photo of their completed pea log (template provided below) and a photo of their shelled pea harvest being measured. They are also invited to send in a group photo of the team members. You must obtain a written photo release from any recognizable person in a submitted photo.
Winning Team: As the grand prize, the winning team will receive a visit from Miss America 2017- Savvy Shields!
Make it a Classroom Contest! We encourage classroom teams to compete internally. After holding a class contest, submit your class-winning entry to the official contest form. Internal teams can be awarded the First Peas Certificate (provided below).
- Pea Journal Log
- First Peas Participation Certificate
- Growing Instructions (Please note for the contest only shelling peas or English peas are permitted)
- Growing Peas Inside? Tips & Tricks
- Photo Release for any recognizable persons in submitted photos (English and Spanish versions provided)
- Ask a local Farm Bureau to get involved! Here is an email template you can send to request a local farmer or rancher come into your classroom.
Other resources suggested:
Please help us spread the word!
- Do you know a teacher or school that might be interested? Send them the Peas Contest Flyer.
- Post about the peas contest on Facebook or Twitter using this invitation to the peas contest.
- Tweet : Teachers! Let's get growing! Join the AFBFA 2017 Peas Contest http://bit.ly/PeasContest2017 #schoolgardens #agliteracy