First Peas to the Table Contest 2017
The American Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture is inviting your classroom to participate in a national pea growing contest. This contest is to celebrate our book of the year, First Peas to the Table, by Susan Grigsby published by Albert Whitman.
NOTE: THE 2017 CONTEST WILL OPEN ON FEBRUARY 20, 2017.
2017 Contest Guidelines and Rules
Goal: To be the student team that grows the greatest amount of peas (measured in cups) using no more than 20 pea seeds during the official contest period.
- No purchase is necessary to enter this contest. Void where prohibited.
- To enter, visit https://agfoundation.wufoo.com/forms/peas-contest-2017-entry-form/ and complete the entry form when you have finished growing your peas.
- The contest is open to students in grades K-5th. An entering team may consist of one or more students. Each student or student team must contact us through an adult representative age 21 or over.
- Official Contest Period: February 20, 2017 – May 15, 2017 at 12:00 midnight Eastern. All entries must be submitted no later than midnight on May 15.
- Each team may use no more than twenty pea seeds. These should be garden shelling peas, often called English Peas, not snow peas or snap peas.
- You may not begin planting until February 20, 2017.
- Peas may be grown in any manner including in a hot house, hoop house, indoor pot or planter or outside garden.
- The winning team will have harvested the greatest amount of peas (measured in cups to the nearest 1/8th cup). Peas must be shelled before measuring.
- In the event of a tie, one winner will be randomly selected from those that tied.
- Entrants must submit a photo of their completed pea log (template provided below) and a photo of their shelled pea harvest being measured. They are also invited to send in a group photo of the team members. You must obtain a written photo release from any recognizable person in a submitted photo.
Winning Team: As the grand prize, the winning team will receive a visit from Miss America 2017- Savvy Shields!
Make it a Classroom Contest! We encourage classroom teams to compete internally. After holding a class contest, submit your class-winning entry to the official contest form. Internal teams can be awarded the First Peas Certificate (provided below).
- Pea Journal Log
- First Peas Participation Certificate
- Growing Instructions (Please note for the contest only shelling peas or English peas are permitted)
- Growing Peas Inside? Tips & Tricks
- Photo Release for any recognizable persons in submitted photos (English and Spanish versions provided)
- Ask a local Farm Bureau to get involved! Here is an email template you can send to request a local farmer or rancher come into your classroom.
Other resources suggested:
Please help us spread the word!
- Do you know a teacher or school that might be interested? Send them the Peas Contest Flyer.
- Post about the peas contest on Facebook or Twitter using this invitation to the peas contest.
- Tweet : Teachers! Let's get growing! Join the AFBFA 2017 Peas Contest http://bit.ly/PeasContest2017 #schoolgardens #agliteracy